B.Tech. (Marine Engineering) Courses, Eligibility, Admissions, Syllabus, Frequently asked Questions.
Overview and About the B.Tech. in Marine Engineering Course:
B.Tech. in marine engineering is an undergraduate programme that covers the fundamental ideas of the field, including technology utilised in shipbuilding, ports, and oil platform construction. The creation of such technology is also included. Marine engineering equipment is connected to ships, marine vessels, and a range of marine vehicles and transporters. The study of theoretical concepts is included in the marine engineering curriculum, as well as hands-on training at shipyards. Technology such as Naval architecture, Hydraulic turbine, Pneumatic machinery, Ship design and construction, Control engineering, and more are introduced to students who want to pursue a B.Tech. in Marine Engineering.
Also, the creation of such technology falls under this. Ships, ships utilised in seagoing vessels, and other marine vehicles and modes of transportation are all examples of machinery employed in marine engineering. The curriculum in Marine Engineering combines both classroom instruction and hands-on experience at shipyards. Technology areas covered in the B.Tech. programme in Marine Engineering include control engineering, marine architecture, water turbines, pneumatic equipment, and ship design and building.
This also includes the development of such technologies. Marine engineering is used to create ships, ships used in seagoing vessels, and other marine vehicles and forms of transportation. The Marine Engineering programme blends in-class education with practical training at shipyards. The B.Tech. degree in Marine Engineering covers a variety of technological topics, including control engineering, marine architecture, water turbines, pneumatic equipment, and ship design and construction. The B.Tech Marine Engineering programme, in contrast to all other engineering programmes, is one of the only engineering streams that is gaining popularity both domestically and internationally. Graduates of BTech Marine Engineering are highly valued in the shipping and maritime industries, which largely deal with design and administration of transportation.
Why to do the course?
- The goal of the BTech Marine Engineering programme is to provide students a thorough grasp of ship technology and operational procedures. If Marine Engineering was your college of choice, you could have an advantage over other candidates for the field.
- Graduates with the necessary skills can discover openings for available opportunities right away in the highly in-demand profession of marine engineering. Any student who has the drive to succeed in their subject will do well in no time.
- For both commercial and governmental enterprises, average salaries for B.Tech. Marine Engineering graduates are on the upper side. The salary is likewise on the higher side given the volume of labour.
- A marine engineer has a wide range of job options at their disposal. There is no restriction on the number of educational options available.
- The course’s major goal is to teach students about maritime technology, encourage creativity, and help them comprehend them.
Eligibility Criteria Required for the Course B.Tech. in Marine Engineering:
- A minimum of 55% must be obtained in the higher secondary board test by the pupils.
- For lateral entrance students, a three-year diploma from an accredited board in a relevant topic is required.
- The reservation category has a different eligibility standard. They receive some marks that are relaxed.
- If they want to be considered for the admissions process, all applicants must achieve the entrance exam cut-off.
- Candidates must pass the 12th exam or an equivalent from a reputable board with PCM as their primary subjects.
Highlights of the B.Tech. in Marine Engineering Course:
Full name of the course
Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering
Duration of the course
Type of the course
Also, candidates must have received a minimum of 50 to 70 percent on their preceding exams.
Entrance/ Merit Based
INR 1 lakh to 5 lakhs
Top Recruiting Areas
Businesses involved in shipping, the military, shipbuilding, port trusts, repair facilities, merchant naval firms, etc.
Marine Engineer, Grade IV (Junior Cadre), Merchant Navy, National and International Naval Logistics and Shipments, Naval Management Faculty, Professor, etc.
Top Colleges for the course, B.Tech. in Marine Engineering:
Check out the list of top colleges given below for doing the course, B.Tech. in Marine Engineering.
College Name & Location
International Maritime Institute, Noida
Marine Engineering and Research Institute, Kolkata
International Maritime Academy, Chennai
Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education & Training, Pune
Coimbatore Marine College
Institute of Technology & Marine Engineering, Kolkata
Admission Process for the B.Tech. in Marine Engineering course:
- For admission to this degree, the combined scores from the 10+2 and JEE Advanced exams are taken into account.
- After passing the admission exam, the student moves on to the selection process, which includes a group discussion round and a round of individual interviews.
- Those with a diploma in electronics and communication are also eligible for the BTech Marine program’s Lateral Entry admission.
Syllabus to be Study in the duration of the course B.Tech in Marine Engineering Course:
In First Semester:
· Geometrical Drawing
· Basics Electrical and Electronic Laboratory
· Workshop Practicals-I
· Communication English Laboratory
· Basic Thermodynamics
· Basic Electrical and Electronic Engineering
· Engineering Mechanics-I
· Workshop Technology
In Second Semester:
· Engineering Mechanics-II
· Engineering and Machine Drawing
· Applied Mechanics Laboratory
· Workshop Practicals-II
· Computer Laboratory-I
· Seamanship, Elementary Navigation & Survival at Sea
· Applied Thermodynamics I
· Strength of Materials-I
· Computer Science
In Third Semester:
· Electrical Machines-I
· Marine Engineering Drawing
· Electronics Laboratory
· Heat and Chemical Laboratory
· Workshop Practical-III
· Computational Mathematics
· Analog electronics and Communication
· Applied Thermodynamics-II
· Strength of Materials-II
· Mechanics of Machines-I
In Fourth Semester:
· Marine Heat Engine and Air Conditioning
· Applied Marine Control and Automation
· Heat and Boiler Chemical Laboratory
· Computer microprocessor and PLC Laboratory
· Workshop Practical-IV
· Control Engineering Laboratory
· Marine Boilers
· Digital electronic and PLC
· Mechanics of Machines-II
· Electrical Machines-II
· Fluid Mechanics
In Fifth Semester:
· Marine Auxiliary Machines – I
· Naval Architecture – I
· Naval Architecture – I
· Elementary Design & Drawing
· Material Science Laboratory
· Vibration Laboratory & Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
· Marine Power Plant Operation – I
· Material Science
· Ship Structure and Construction
· Marine Internal Combustion Engine – I
· Fluid Mechanics
In Sixth Semester:
· Management Science & Economics
· Marine Steam Engineering
· Fire Control & Life Saving Appliance Laboratory
· Marine Power Plant Operation – II
· Electricals Laboratory
· Ship Fire Prevention & Control
· Marine Internation Combustion Engine II
· Marine Electrical Technology
· Marine Auxiliary Machines – II
· Naval Architecture – II
In Seventh Semester:
· Engine Room Management
· Marine Machinery & System Design
· Simulator & Simulation Laboratory
· Technical Paper & Project
· Ship Operation & Management
· Advance Marine Control Engineering & Automation
· IMO – Maritime Conventions & Classification Society
· Advance Marine Technology
In Eighth Semester:
· Project On Environment & Its Project
· Viva – Voce
· On Board Training & Assessment
· Voyage / Training Report
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question. Which universities provide the top BTech programmes in marine engineering?
Answer. Some of the best institutions and universities that offer a BTech in marine engineering are Indian Maritime University, Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training, C.V. Raman Global University, MANET, and Topani Institute.
Question. What are the employment possibilities for someone with a BTech in Marine Engineering and experience?
Answer. The applicant may be promoted to the position of chief engineer of a merchant ship after accumulating off-shore experience, or the candidate may decide to pursue a management degree in order to compete for in-shore job profiles like management or academic faculty.
Question. Is there a possibility of a relaxation for students from the reserved category while applying to the BTech Marine Engineering programme?
Answer. Yes. The SC/ST applicants must score 5% lower than those in the general category.
Question. How long does the B.Tech. Marine Engineering programme last?
Answer. The 4-year B.Tech. Marine Engineering programme includes an internship and training.
Question. What university has the greatest marine engineering programme?
Answer. International Maritime Institute, Greater Noida, is the top university for B.Tech. Marine engineering.